Thursday, May 5, 2011

TED TALK #8 Ric Elias

Ric's TED talk
While listening to Ric talk about his Plane crash, and his front row seat on flight 1549, (which landed on the Hudson River) I thought about the instense experience of when my brother Adam almost lost his life. Ric speaks about how his near-death experience changed his outlook not only on life, but also about the way he was raising his children.

While my brother laid on the hospital bed with a 7 inch gash in the back of his head, I could not help but think, "What if he died? What about all the things I would never get to tell him?" With all of these questions running through my mind, my eyes started to tear up. Not only would I not see my older brother again, but all these questions would remain un-answered.

Tying this back to Ric, he talks about how he saw his daughters 1st grade play. He speaks about how it wasn't the best piece he had ever seen, but yet he was still crying. This reminded me directly of playing soccer in my backyard with my brother after his recovery. This reality check in my life made me look directly at my priorities. Although everything that I attempt in life is important, some are more important than others. Family is always first. This is what I believe creates opportunies later in life, and also the way you treat your peers and loved ones.

To me, family is the most important thing no matter what. With absolutely no exceptions. Although most families are close and are always looking out for the best opportunities for their familty members, some arent like that. In the following video, you see a man named Flash. Flash talks about how his mother was a monster and his father wasn't around. Flash is also covered in tattoos. I personally believe that his decisions to get those tattoos were influenced by the way he was raised.
Everybody in the video clip answers the guiding question with the same answer. While being asked, "what is family to you?" they all tend to respond with, "to me, Family is very important."

Now before watching Ric speak about how his thrilling experience and the effects on him personally, afterwards I feel inspired to make my family better, and keep their best intentions in mind at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment